Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: Something like Normal by Trish Doller

Title: Something like normal
Author: Trish Doller
Expected publication: June 19th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Goodreads | Amazon
___________________________________



I spent 4 hours completely engrossed in this book. I even missed lunch. And the most important thing, I lost 4 precious hours of studying. Do I regret it, though? Not at all. I can tell you this, for me to sit through a whole book in just one day (when I clearly have things to do) is one heck of a sacrifice, and I won’t do it for any book, but Something like Normal was just really good.

I loved that it was written in a male POV. Especially because Travis was easy to sympathize with, you can’t help but root for the guy, he’s been through so much; he just got back from Afghanistan and there’s nothing in home that he missed, only his jerk of a brother who stole his girlfriend, her douchebag of a father who always treats him like poop, and his mother’s overwhelming love, it is just too much for him to take right now.

Lost in his nightmares and filled with guilt for surviving the shooting where his best friend Charlie was killed, Travis is kind of a train wreck. Until he sees Harper, the girl whose reputation he trashed back in middle school. And before they realize it, Harper and Travis get to know each other and discover they’re more alike than they thought. I loved their relationship, it was cute and didn’t feel rushed, I liked that they knew each other for a long time, and I liked that Harper didn’t lose her faith on Travis and was up to get to know the real him.
How beautiful is this picture, people?
check for more of the inspirational pics behind this story--> Ginger interviews Trish

The thing I liked the most about this book was the realness of it. It feels like you could really be reading someone’s story, like this Travis guy could be real and walking down the street in the other side of town. And it was educational to see the kind of things that marines go through, I am sorry to see that happening to anyone but it is reality and no one can escape that.

One thing I didn’t like though, was the language. It bothered me. I mean I guess I should have expected it, Travis is a nineteen year old after all, but the thing is I don’t know anything about 19yo boys, (I barely know anything about 19yo girls and I am one) so I was a surprised they can be that crude (although I refuse to believe all of them are like that, and Travis has had a tough life). I didn’t agree with most of his word choices (I am not talking about the swearing, although that was annoying too) when he referred to something Afghanistan related. I would be very angry to read that if I happened to be Afghan, but since I am not I was just angry. But I can’t ask people to feel the way I do, so if you don’t find it a bit insulting then good for you.

I will only advice that when you read this book you keep a clear mind and get a comfortable seat because you are going to be there for quite a long time. Because this book (with its contemporary romance and raw and real take on marines) will totally have you at the edge of your seat.



2 comments:

  1. OH HOW I LOVED THIS BOOK.
    I'm really new to the contemporary genre, so doing this contemporary month event has been really great for me. I have always read everything BUT contemps. However, I've found some really great ones, and this is one of them. I just really enjoyed Travis as a male POV, found his story believable - as much as I possibly could, because I'm not a marine - and I really loved Harper. I also thought it was really well-written coming from a debut author.

    So far, in this month, this has been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was good! just not amazing ):

      I'm so glad you're giving Contemporary a chance, it is a genre that doesn't get much attention but that is reaaaally good, the authors know what they're doing and most of them write incredibly enganging characters & stories.

      I love me some Contemps <3

      Delete

I love your beautiful face!